NextEra Energy Valuation & Strategy Analyst in Houston, Texas
Valuation & Strategy Analyst
Date:Nov 7, 2018
Primary Location:Houston, TX, US, 77070
Company:NextEra Energy /NextEra Energy Services is one of the fastest-growing retail energy providers, delivering innovative energy solutions with affordable electricity plans, including 100 percent renewable energy plans to more than 1.1 million residential and business customers throughout North America.
Position Specific Description We are seeking an Associate Financial Analyst to join our team! In this role, you will be responsible for strategic analysis for organic company growth, and financial modelling performed for inorganic company growth via acquisitions in deregulated retail energy markets. You will work on projects to support strategic initiatives for Gexa Energy’s Retail business such as: new channel strategies, market segmentation and expansion, renewable energy and sustainability services, behind-the-meter generation and storage, performance management initiatives, customer analytics, product development and mergers and acquisitions.
This position will have several key responsibilities including:
- Performing in-depth industry, market, target company and competitor research and analysis to model industry and company trends
- Creating databases of targeted companies and competitors
- Assisting with valuation analysis on target entities within the energy industry using accepted and relevant approaches and theory
- Working with financial models for discounted cash flow, market multiple, market transaction and option pricing analyses
- Assisting in creating management templates to present the results of analysis in a clear and concise manner
- Assisting in developing proposals and presentations to targeted companies
- Building, analyzing and updating financial valuation models to support M&A opportunities
- Working cross-functionally with multiple business units and leadership within the organization to gather and synthesize data to perform analytics
- Bachelor’s Degree program in Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Business or related field
- Practical experience, 0-2 years, (apprenticeship or internship) in finance (audit, valuation, M&A, other financial analyses)
- Advanced abilities with Microsoft Applications, including Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent ability to perform analysis using large amounts of data, and translate numeric analysis into strategic insights and/or business and work plans
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work on multiple assignments and manage rapidly changing assignments in a team environment, while managing workload to meet deadlines
- Extended hours may be necessary periodically
- Candidates with strong analytical and quantitative skills, and financial acumen often excel in this role
We strengthen and engage our greatest asset – our people!! We look forward to working together and making an impact!
Job Overview Employees in this role perform financial due diligence and prepare investment valuations of acquisitions and greenfield projects in the energy industry. Individuals are expected to work with guidance from their supervisor to identify and analyze the impact of relevant investment, environmental and/or business issues facing NextEra Energy on the company’s financial structure, profitability, financial integrity and competitive position. The successful candidate applies advanced abilities to comprehend, analyze, frame and resolve complex analytical issues and distill them into simple to understand analysis for management decision making, communicating the key investment benefits and risks to senior management, and providing expertise and support to other NextEra departments requiring financial consulting services or financial training.
Job Duties & Responsibilities • Performs financial pro forma modeling and analysis work products • Coordinates the gathering of Subject Matter Expert (SME) assumptions • Participates in the review of SME assumptions • Prepares management presentations • Presents analysis work in team meetings, and Risk Committee/CFO meetings (based on ability) • Performs other job-related duties as assigned Required Qualifications • Bachelor's - Accounting / Finance • Experience:0+ years
- CPA (Certified Public Accountant)
- CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst)
- Master’s - Accounting / Finance
Employee Group: Exempt Employee Type: Full Time Job Category: Finance, Accounting & Business Analytics Organization: Gexa Energy LP Location: Houston, Texas Other Work Locations: Texas Relocation Provided: No
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748 (Option 1, Press 6) between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday-Friday. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energydoes notaccept any unsolicited resumes or referrals fromany third-party recruiting firms or agencies. Please see ourfor more information.
Nearest Major Market:Houston Job Segment:Sustainability, Energy